Thursday, December 26, 2013

Transitioning to Nutritious Foods in a Balanced Way


One of the things that I have struggled with in the past (when eating nutritiously) is balance.  I completely clean out my pantry (because that's what all the blogs say to do), and throw out anything that is not nutritious.  I focus 100% on a specific way of eating, and I lose my life in it.  It only lasts for a little while because I realize that living that way isn't real life... especially with a full time job. 

One of the mistakes that I made in the past when trying to go gluten-free/doing the Paleo/Primal way of eating is trying to replace the baking that I did with gluten-free baking.  Instead of just focusing on eating meats/eggs/cheese/veggies/fruits/etc, I was trying to bake all these foods that didn't turn out really well... which left me frustrated... and left me giving up.  I will do some baked-foods, but not a whole lot... and the ones that I will do will be simple!

I also have decided that completely gluten-free is unrealistic for a busy life (especially for someone who doesn't have to omit it for specific health issues).  Like I said in my last post, 80/20 is my goal... and my focus will be more on adding nutritious foods into my diet and less on taking foods out.  Over time, adding in the nutritious foods will decrease the "bad foods." :-)

It is SO easy to get lost in all the blogs out there and feel that unless you're doing everything the way they say, you're failing.

I don't have time for that way of thinking, nor is that healthy.

I've learned so much over the years about eating nutritious foods, and I'm going to do my best to put that into the new lifestyle of eating well/exercising.  And if I "fail," I'll just give myself grace and move forward. 

I'm working on a post with my meal plan.  This plan will start the week January 6th (we won't even be home until the 1st, and that's mid-week... I like starting my meal plans on Mondays!).  I'll be working towards transitioning until then... slowly adding things in. 

No comments: