Monday, February 16, 2009

Whole Foods- Another Great Resource

I realize that I repeat myself a lot, but I seem to learn something new every day, and come across new, wonderful resources often, and I want to share them!!

I am in the process of learning about true good nutrition, and the more I learn, the more I realize that everything that I've learned over the years as being healthy, just isn't. Here is a wonderful resource:
http://www.westonaprice.org/

I have NOT come to a place in which I put all of this into practice. I will one day put it into practice, but for now, I just learn and make small changes, one at a time.

Some things that I'm learning are that "low fat" and "no fat" are NOT good for you. They are stripped of their nutrients, and things like extra salt and artificial ingredients are added to make up the flavor. "No sugar" and "low sugar" almost always contain artificial sweeteners, which are a whole other topic.

Whole foods are the best way to go, in all aspects. I will come back with more information as I learn :).

I was driving home today from school, and I had an "epiphany." I have been searching online, in stores, etc for grass fed everything, raw milk, cage free eggs, etc, and I haven't had much luck. Then I remembered something wonderful. There is a lady that lives down the street that brought us (wonderful) meals after Ethan was born (she goes to the church that we went to at the time). At the time, she told us that she could give us some fresh goat's milk if I wanted some. At the time, I wasn't interested. But I remembered today about that, so I decided to email her. She said that not only does she have milk, she has cheese, fresh eggs, and many other organic products (that she sells in a food coop). She also said that she slaughters her own chickens, and eats grass fed bison. She wants to meet up with me soon to talk to me about everything!!!!!! I'm SUPER excited.

Now, I just need to break my bad habits... I struggle with soda (although, I don't drink near the amount that I used to... maybe one every other week or so), I struggle with eating in the dining hall (still trying to make a decision about whether or not to eat in there anymore), I struggle with sweets in general... One day at a time!!
The dining hall issue is a big one for me because not only does it supply us with free food, it gives me time with my husband while he's working, and it supplies me with time socializing. The problems are that they serve a lot of conventional and unhealthy foods including yummy desserts that are really hard to avoid... Any thoughts on this?

No comments: