Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Freed from the Law of Sin and Death

Finding time to spend with Jesus is getting more and more difficult! Until recently, if I got up at 6:30, it was a safe bet that I would have plenty of alone time. For some reason lately, Karis has decided that between 6:00-6:45 is a good time to wake up. And, she will NOT go back to bed. We've tried telling her that she just needs to turn on her lamp and stay in her room until it's light outside, but she's not quite to that point yet. She is usually really hungry, asking for breakfast immediately. So, we give in and give her breakfast. I mean, she's hungry, I can't deny her food!
So, when I do get some alone time, I take FULL advantage of it! I have come to a point in which I can still spend time with Jesus if just Karis is awake, at least for a little while. I give her a children's study Bible and tell her that she needs to read her Bible while mommy reads her Bible and talks to Jesus. So, most mornings, this works for at least 15 minutes :).

Anyway... I'm not sure why I said all of that first, but I felt that was an important piece of information as I explain what I'm learning. :) I don't have a lot of time to really get deep into the Word, but I ask God to speak to me as I'm reading. Right now I'm reading Leviticus and Romans (I HAVE to read some new testament while reading the old, or it gets really dry). What's neat about reading those two books is that they go together really well. Leviticus is ALL about laws and sacrifices. Romans is about how Jesus fulfilled the law and has freed us from the law of sin and death. Through Christ's death and resurrection, we are freed from having to follow a law that is impossible to follow (and trust me, it is NOT possible for any human to follow every letter of the law). Through Christ's death and resurrection, we are able to have an intimate relationship with our creator. How amazing is that? I know some of this is very simple, but I just have a completely different perspective because of reading both at the same time.

"There is, therefore, no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit." Romans 8:1-4

In this time of Christmas, I think not only about the baby born in the stable, but I think about why He came. He came to give us LIFE. Through His death, we receive LIFE. Praise Jesus for being so amazing! He is glorious, beautiful, awesome, amazing, provision, full of grace, peace, love, life; He's great, merciful, everlasting, faithful, satisfying, fulfilling, and more things than I can put into words! Give Praise to the Lord this Christmas for WHO HE IS, not just WHAT HE DOES FOR YOU!!! :)

No comments: