Monday, December 23, 2013

Word for 2014: Health


When I started teaching full time, I pretty much let everything else go by the wayside.  I decided at the beginning of the school year that I needed to be able to focus on my family and my job, and that was all I could handle.  Now that my mental health has improved, I realize I can now move on to the next important thing: my physical health.

I try to always come up with a "word for the year" as a focus (because let's face it, New Year's Resolutions typically fall flat by about mid-January).  My word for 2014 is HEALTH.  In this, my friend and I are going to work together to eat more real foods and exercise regularly.  There are a few things that are necessary to make this work (for both of us... we're both full time teachers): simple, inexpensive, and balanced.  The goal is a more Paleo/Primal way of eating (low grains, more meats/eggs/veggies, but not dairy-free), but I cannot obsess over it, so I'm thinking of making a goal to eat this way about 80% of the time.  That's where the balance comes in. 

Coming soon...
  • My weekly meal plans with simple real food recipes
    • These will include breakfasts, to-go lunches, and simple dinners
    • These will also include the prep work that will be necessary to make this work
  • My weekly grocery list
    • The main stores that I shop at are Costco (for bulk items) and Trader Joe's (for the weekly foods)
    • I will also use a local food co-op for raw milk, yogurt, cream, and eggs (it's not necessary to do this, but I have the resource, so I will use it!)
  • My exercise plan
    • Yet again, keeping it simple to be consistent
I have been trying to get back to eat better/exercise more consistently but have struggled to due to no planning (and I NEED accountability).  That's why I'm starting the new year with a plan: it'll help me to follow through!

No comments: