Friday, February 5, 2010

Easy and Healthy Meals

I decided that I want to start this post off with a confession.  I don't always eat the way that I know I should.  I occasionally have a craving for Doritos and a Dr. P.  Occasionally I like to eat at Chick Fil A or Sonic.  I tend to eat too many meals in the dining hall (here at camp) because it's easy and free (although, they really aren't too unhealthy these days!!).  I don't eat perfectly all the time!  But, each day, my desire to eat the things that I shouldn't decreases and my desire to eat healthy increases.  I don't have the strong cravings for "bad" foods that I once had.  It has been a long journey, and as I've said in the past, I still have a long way to go.  So, any advice I give to you, I give to myself!

Homemade is best, but if you want to buy something "processed," just be choosy!!  Choose things with just a few ingredients.  Make those ingredients count!  Whole wheat/whole grain, low sugar, no high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners, etc.

One other thing that I would like to point out is that as I have learned about food, I have learned that "low fat" isn't necessarily healthy.  Low fat foods tend to either have more sugar, salt, or both and have been altered in some way.  Look for foods that are from the original source.  I will come back to this at another time.  For now, I'm going to focus on some meals :).  

I went through my recipes and tried to pull out the ones that are a little more simple.  Don't be thrown off by a long list of ingredients... that doesn't necessarily make it difficult!!
Again, try one or two new recipes a week.  Don't bite off more than you can chew.  It will take a while to make changes!
If you are really busy during the week, it's a good idea to set aside some time on Saturday or Sunday to throw some of these together and you can either refrigerate and/or freeze them to eat during the week.

Some of these meals I have made up myself, some of them I got from friends, and others I have found on other blogs.  Much of the time I change it up a little :).  

Breakfasts:
Breakfast Tacos
Eggs and whole wheat toast
Yogurt and fruit
Homemade "instant oatmeal"
Breakfast Cookies
Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal
Homemade Protein Bars
Banana Crumb Muffins

Dinners:
Roasted Chicken, Steamed Veggies, and Whole Wheat Pasta
Beans and Rice
Meatloaf and your choice of veggie
Black Bean Wraps
Pan Seared Chicken or Fish and your choice of veggie
Cream Cheese Potato and Ham Soup
Sausage and Pasta
Skillet Chicken and Rice
Pasta and Homemade Sauce
Southwest Chicken Salad
Chicken Bean Quesadillas
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Dill-Lemon Chicken (crock pot)
Southwestern Chicken (crockpot)
Sloppy Joes
Chili
Shepherd's Pie
Enchilada Casserole
Spinach Enchiladas

No comments: