Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hard White Wheat versus Hard Red Wheat

I learned something new a few days ago that I think is really going to make a difference in my baking.  Through the Heavenly Homemakers blog, I learned that hard red wheat and hard white wheat have the exact same nutritional value, but hard white wheat is much lighter... which will in turn make baking with whole wheat much easier.  I decided to do a little bit of research on this to just make sure, and all the research that I have read says that is true!  One great source is this: The Fresh Loaf.  I still haven't gotten around to buying a grain mill (I'm hoping that I can buy one with Christmas money!), but I found a great hard white wheat flour that I trust.  King Arthur is one of my favorite brands of flour for many reasons.  One, because it is never bromated (meaning they don't intentionally oxidize it), and two, because they carry hard white wheat flour :).  I bought two 5 pound bags today because they were on sale for $2.99 each!  I can't wait to try it and I will let you know how it goes!

No comments: