Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Perception of Perfection

There are many blogs that I read because they give great ideas, recipes, information, etc.  In fact, I wouldn't know NEAR what I know if it weren't for those blogs, so I am thankful for them.  But one thing that is pretty universal about these blogs is the perception of perfection.  Even when they share what their weaknesses are, they seem to bring it back to a strength (if that makes sense).  Sometimes when I read them, it really brings me down.  It makes me feel like I'm a failure and that because I don't do everything the way they do, I don't do it right.  One thing that I always remind myself is that this is only their life via blog.  I know that if I were to step into their lives for just a day, I would see that they don't have it all together.  And, I'm sure they would tell you the same thing.

One thing that I strive for through my blog is to show that I am FAR from perfect.  I struggle with the desire to be a certain person and with the inability to be that person.  I don't ever want someone to walk away from reading my blog thinking that I have it all together or that I'm super mom or something, because that's not true.  I have been called that by someone, and it almost made me sad because I would never want someone to think that they are any less of a mom because they don't do things the way I do.  Everyone has their own parenting style, weaknesses, strengths, desires, etc.  No one mom is going to be the same, in any area.  For those of you who want to know who I am in "real life,"  know that I feed my kids processed foods more than I would like, I struggle with disciplining and teaching my kids, my house is NOT always clean (not even far from it in my opinion!), I don't manage my time very well, I don't play with the kids NEAR as often as I would like (or should!) because I'm either too busy working, cleaning, or being online, I'm not the best manager of my money, one of my biggest "food" weaknesses is Coke (which is HORRIBLE for you), and I sometimes just shut down when I can't do things the way that I would like.  I struggle with balance because I am a "black and white" kind of person.  I struggle with the fact that since I feed my kids in the dining hall, I might as well just give up on trying to feed them well when we're not in the dining hall (why try when I just feed them there anyway?).  I struggle with wanting to even try to keep my house picked up because I know that it will just be messy again in a few minutes.  I struggle with even desiring to make a budget because I rarely keep it. 

Just as it is easy to focus on all that I don't do well, I am trying to always remember the fact that it's okay that I'm not perfect.  No one is.  If we were, Jesus would have had no reason to die for us. 

I just wanted to share because I'm having one of those days in which I feel bad for not being who I desire.  I am sure we all have those days :).  I am learning to take it one day at a time. 
I almost feel better just from writing this :).

I have several posts "up my sleeve" that I will probably be publishing in the next few days.  I have allowed myself some blog writing time lately because I haven't been able to do it much these past few months.  So, just be expecting some new posts!

No comments: