For about a year now, I have struggled to make my job work for my family. I literally work about 70 hours a week (including weekends/evenings). Often, we would talk about me doing something else, staying home, etc, but it always came down to the fact that we couldn't afford it. Not sure how we would make it. I do really love teaching, so maybe I'll just try this, this, and this. Then when that didn't work, we would have the conversation again, come to the conclusion that we couldn't afford it, then I decided I would try this, this, and this.
It has been a cycle since not long after I started last year.
This is the thing... I LOVE my job (as I have said SO many times)... But, I need to love my family more. And I know that as long as I have this job, it has to be number one priority (because of the high expectations that they have).
Robert and I decided on Monday to take a LEAP of faith. We don't know how it will work out, but we MUST do this for our marriage and family. We made the decision on Monday to put in my notice. Initially it was going to be through the end of the physical year (effective the first day of next semester), but I was told yesterday that they have already found someone to replace me, and she will be starting November 28th. So that will be my last day.
I am in complete awe of how things have worked out. He has already proven His faithfulness in providing for us in ways that don't make sense. On top of that, Robert already has some possible side jobs and I will be working on becoming a Childbirth Educator. It won't bring in a whole lot of money, but it will be FUN and the money will be supplemental. Again, I don't know how this will work long term, but I KNOW that it will because God is faithful to provide for His children's needs. I also know that this is totally a God thing because Robert is the one who said we needed to do this for our family. Anyone that knows Robert knows that he has always been supportive of me working. This year he has seen how it has taken a toll on our marriage and family, and we decided together that it just. isn't. worth. it.
One of the biggest concerns of ours is that we just bought this house. What if we can't afford it? We bought it knowing that I had my salary. We came to the conclusion that... it's just a house. We have lived in many houses since we got married... If we had to sell it, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But for the most part, we just trust that for now, this is where we're supposed to live.
I have so many friends and neighbors that stay home, so it'll be SO nice to have that support and ability to get to know other moms better. Just behind us (across the alley) lives a family with three kiddos our kids ages (and same genders). Across the street from us lives a family with a little boy that is just a little older than Levi. Many of my friends at church have kids around our kids' ages, and the mamas stay home. So, I have a wonderful support system and community that I can now be a part of.
Starting December 16th, Karis will be homeschooled. We are probably just going to do that this year because Robert isn't a fan of homeschooling, but we feel that the school that she's been going to isn't the best fit for her. It's not because of her teacher (because I really like her and she has been a great fit), but it's the demographic of the students. Karis is the ONLY white child in the school. She has ONE friend there... and she has been struggling. I am all about diversity, but that isn't a diverse school. And that knew that coming in, but I wanted to try. We've tried, and it didn't work, so now we go to plan B.
I'm looking forward to homeschooling, even if it's just for this year. I already have an outline written up for what I'm going to cover :). I still get to teach, but I get to teach the ones that matter most: MY kids.
So... here we go... on a new adventure (again). Life is full of changes. I'm thankful that God is constant. He knew this would happen. And I am at complete peace.