Thursday, October 30, 2008

Recipes for Cleaners

These are the cleaners that I use (recipes from various websites, but changed a bit to make them better!):

Soft Scrubber
3/4 cup baking soda
1/8 cup liquid castille soap
5 drops lavendar essential oil
1/4 cup vinegar
Add enough water to make a smooth paste

Floor Cleaner
I just fill the sink with hot water, add a few splashes of vinegar, and several drops of lavendar essential oil. It works really well.

Glass Cleaner
Straight rubbing alcohol works really well.

All Purpose Spray Cleaner (a little different then the one I posted before)
1 tsp Borax
1/2 tsp liquid castille soap
1/4 cup vinegar
2 cups hot water
Put all ingredients in spray bottle and shake

Thyme Cleaner- disinfectant
2 1/2 cups water
1 handful thyme (fresh or dried)
Vinegar (as much as you would like)
Liquid castille soap (squirt)

Boil water, add thyme. Simmer for several hours over medium-low heat, covered. Cool, then strain. Pour the water into a spray bottle, top with white vinegar and squirt of soap. Thyme is a natural disinfectant.
(I haven't tried this one, I will be trying soon!)

Tub and Tile Cleaner
1 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup liquid castille soap
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4-1/2 cup vinegar
A few drops of essential oil

Add soap to water and let dissolve. Stir in bakin soda, then add vinegar (make sure to add it in slowly!). Store in a squirt bottle and shake before using. Rinse thoroughly!

Toilet Cleaner
Sprinkle baking soda and borax in toilet, then pour vinegar. Allow it to sit for a few minutes (as long as you want, depending on how dirty it is!). Then, scrub with brush.


I have found that these cleaners work better and are MUCH safer than the commercial cleaners. I'm excited to have begun this process!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Great recipes. I've been making my own laundry soap for years. My 8 year old son now makes it!