Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Random... things that are on my mind!

The less I try to control everything, the less anxious I am.  It's awesome.  I used to be one that had to have EVERYTHING in a certain place in my home.  Lately, I'm realizing that with two little ones, that's just not possible.  It's freeing.  

It also helps that I don't read many blogs any more :).  I'm trying to just stick with skimming through my reader for blogs that I'm interested in, and not take peoples' opinions in.  I'm beginning to decide what's best for our family, and go with it!

I'm still really anxious some days, but I know that's going to happen.  It's who I am.  I just have to take one day at a time.  

On a random note, I spent $80 last week for two weeks of groceries :) (this doesn't include formula).  I will only need to get a few more things (milk, etc) before our next shopping trip. Some of the things that I bought:
  • Frozen veggies and fruits (green beans; broccoli; a free package of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot mix for buying organic mushrooms; strawberries; and mixed berries)
  • Milk (one gallon,1%, and half gallon of whole)
  • Yogurt (two kinds- a quart of organic vanilla, and a six pack of organic strawberry yo kids)
  • Half and half (Organic valley brand)
  • Frozen natural chicken (HEB sells this awesome box of frozen chicken that has about 6 hormone and antibiotic free chicken breasts in it, individually wrapped.  I have SEVERAL $1 off coupons that don't expire til December.  Don't ask how I got them lol.)
  • Organic "cheerios" (this is a large box that lasts forever)
  • Some fresh, organic produce (bananas, squash, garlic, kiwi, peaches, etc)
  • 5 lbs whole wheat flour (I didn't end up getting a grain mill... long story... but I buy the King Arthur brand which includes the wheat germ and bran, and it is never bromated, which means they don't add an oxidizing agent.  It's also only $3 for 5 lbs.  I used to buy organic whole wheat flour in bulk, but it went up to $1.69 a pound!!)
  • Decaf coffee (fair trade, whole bean, 1 lb)
  • 2 quarts free range chicken broth
  • Cage free eggs, 1 dozen
  • Natural Boar's Head turkey breast from the deli, little over 1/2 pound
  • Toilet paper, 12 pk. Charmin Basic (my favorite! and it was on sale!)
  • 200 pk. unbleached coffee filters
Can't remember what else...  These groceries will probably last longer than the two weeks that I bought them for because camp is busy this whole week (dinner in the dining hall every night), which means either easy meals for the kids and I, or dinner in the dining hall.  I'm also just planning on seeing how many more meals I can make out of what I already have.  I'm trying to keep grocery shopping at a minimum.  
We have a lot of things in our pantry to make probably a month's worth of meals.  :)  So, I will be able to keep grocery shopping to a minimum.  :)
I'll put my meal plan on here whenever I get to it.  I might do it today because the kids and I are just taking it easy today!  

Karis and I are going to do some "Flower Garden" art today.  I'll let you know how it goes.  It's going to be fun! :)

No comments: