Friday, June 19, 2009

Not Able to do All that I Want...

Robert and I were talking about raw milk last night, and he feels that right now since I'm not working, that we should definitely wait until the fall and re-evaluate then. The milk is VERY expensive, and we're just not sure that we can afford it right now. It is much better, but it's not the end of the world if we don't buy it right now. I love researching food and nutrition, but it's hard when we can't do the things that I would like :). It's hard to know what's best and not be able to do it. But, that's just life. We will be healthy and fine anyway. I try to put many of the things that I've learned into practice.
I also still struggle with the fact that I'm so tired right now and don't feel like cooking meals (and cleaning up after), so we go to the dining hall often. But, this is just a season. I will start feeling better in a few months. I think at this point it's just as or more important for the kids to get out of the house and be able to see their daddy. The food is free, I don't have to cook it, and we are able to be around the staff. The ministry of hanging out with the college students is very important as well. It's just a toss up. What's more important? At this point I'm having to go with ministry and time with their daddy. I still plan to cook some at home (sometimes Karis really just wants to eat at home), but I'm just too tired to do it much right now.
In the fall we will HAVE to cook our own meals again, and I will be cooking what I know is healthy (and I'm looking forward to it!). For now, I'm just going to enjoy having meals cooked for me :).
I'm sure that I'm just being harder on myself and than anyone would be, and I'm sure many others would do the same thing.

For those of you who have the same convictions about food, if you had the ability to eat meals for free, that have been cooked for you, and spend time with your husband in the middle of the day, what would you decide? It has just been a "dilemma" for me all summer so far. And it will be a dilemma every summer I'm sure.

I might change my mind about this again in a few weeks (as I have been doing), but for now, this is what I'm going to do! :)

1 comment:

Katie Fox said...

That is really tough, Courtney, and I can relate for sure! We are pretty dang poor because I am a SAHM and hubby is a full-time college student and works 30 hrs/wk at a church. We pick and choose - we buy the raw milk, but not the grassfed meats and pastured poultry products. We avoid growth hormones but usually don't get organic produce. It's ridiculous that we live in a culture where it's more expensive to eat more healthily! But that's another soapbox I won't get into right now... :) In your situation I would probably do exactly what you're doing. :) You're right about being hard on yourself - give yourself grace. We mamas probably all need to do that a little more.