Sunday, March 16, 2014

Natural Remedies and Supplements

Natural Remedies
I'm still in the process of learning about natural remedies, and I still use some medicine, but I am on my way to using more and more natural remedies.  So far, I have seen the benefits of using them vs. conventional medicine for some things.

Elderberry Syrup


Why would I use Elderberry Syrup? 

It strengthens the immune system.  It shortens the length of the flu.  It can prevent the flu.  It is rich in antioxidants.  It is an anti-inflammatory.  It is an anti-viral.  It is a great cough syrup.  

I made some recently and have used it a lot the past few days as Karis has been sick.  I believe that between this and essential oils, I was able to shorten the duration of whatever illness she has had.

Here's my recipe (based on a recipe that I found on Amazon.com in the reviews of the Elderberries):

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup raw honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger

Place berries, water, and spices in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture.  Stir in honey.  Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.

Essential Oils
I have been selling Young Living Essential oils for a month or so, and I'm just getting into them.  

I recently purchased the Essential Oils Desk Reference thanks to an Amazon gift card, and I am learning SO much about them.  

I will update as I learn more, but this is the little bit that I've learned so far (some I have used, some I haven't):

Peace and Calming- works the best for my anxiety.  Can be used for depression, anxiety, stress, and insomnia.

Thieves- is a natural antibacterial, antiviral, and antiseptic.  I use this for cleaning and for illness. 

Lemon- energizes body and mind and supports a healthy immune system. I use this in my water.  It makes my water taste great. 

Lavender- great for healthy skin, to calm a stressed mind, and used in many "recipes" for different illnesses.  I use this on my wrists, often.  It smells good (as a perfume) and helps with my moods.

Peppermint- great for boosting the mood and energizing the body and mind.  Helps aid in normal digestion. Can be used for respiratory function (good for someone who has a cough).  

Valor- helps with mood, anxiety, and negative emotions; also helps with physical pain

PanAway- provides relief from tension, stressed muscles, and other painful discomforts

Purification- purifies the air of odors, helps soothe dry skin;  disinfects cuts, scrapes, and bites

Frankincense- great for depression, respiratory infections, inflammation, tense muscles, and immune system

RC- gives relief from colds, bronchitis, sore throats, sinus infections, cough, and congestion

Oregano- antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory; great for immune system and digestive problems

If you're interested in buying oils or becoming a member, visit my Young Living Website for more info!

Supplements

Fish Oil
I use Cod Liver oil because it is the best source of Omega-3's than other sources of fish.  When I can afford it, I prefer to use Fermented Cod Liver Oil sold by Green Pastures.  Since this is so expensive, I typically buy Garden of Life Cod Liver Oil for the kids and Swanson Vitamins Cod Liver Oil for myself and Robert. I know it's best to use liquid, but no one in our home can stomach it :-).  





Whole Foods Vitamins
I have been using Garden of Life Raw Women's vitamins and recently decided to buy vitamins that both Robert and I can use... so I bought Garden of Life Vitamin Code Family vitamins.  These vitamins are amazing because they contain all the necessary nutrients and the source is food... raw food.  They also contain probiotics and enzymes.  Eventually, Karis will be able to take these.  She can't swallow a pill quite that large, yet!



Probiotics
I don't always use probiotics, but there are times in which I think they are very important and I use Garden of Life, yet again!  I mainly use them for the kids.  Right now, I'm planning on using them for Karis because her digestion is off and she has been having so many allergy problems and a low immune system.  I'm taking her off of gluten (in addition to the dairy that she can't have) and starting probiotics.


Supplements in my smoothies
I use chia seed, hemp seed, and spirulina at times in my morning green smoothies to add protein and/or other nutrients.  

I use Trader Joe's chia and flax seeds.  


I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts (from Costco)

And Nutrex Pure Hawaiian Spirunlina Pacifica powder

No comments: