I decided to utilize my bread machine, not to make the actual loaf of bread (because my machine makes them round…), but to do the dough "part."
So, I put these ingredients in my machine, in order:
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon soy lecithin (part of the dough enhancer)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil, melted)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons sucanat
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups hard white wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- Sprinkle citric acid and ginger
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
It came out beautiful and yummy.
If you don't have a bread machine, you can follow these steps:
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour, citric acid, ginger, and yeast and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10-15 minutes).
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes (in a warm place).
- Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth then form into a loaf.
- Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.