Thursday, April 9, 2009

Vitamins, Minerals, and Other Supplements

  • Nature's Plus Herbal Kidz KidGreenz:
    They contain broccoli, spinach, wheat grass juice, whole brown rice, carrot juice, chorella, spirulina, beet juice, kelp, alfalfa, chicory, and dahlia. It is strictly a whole food supplement, with no extra vitamins/minerals added, just the ones that are naturally occurring in whole foods.
  • Rainbow Light Nutristars:
    These contain the typical vitamins/minerals found in children's multivitamins, plus a Whole Foods Complex, Herbal Tonics, and Plant-source Digestive Enzymes. Rainbow Light is a brand that I trust, so I know they will be effective.
    I plan to alternate between these so that Karis won't get tired of them (although, right now, she wants them both, which is fine!).
  • Nordic Naturals Children's DHA (which is the most popular fish oil, because it's great, but one of the most expensive). I think next time I will buy Barlean's Cod Liver Oil, Fruit Punch Flavored. They are cheaper, and they last longer. Nordic Naturals and Barlean's both have 100% Cod Liver Oil (which is the best from the research I've done), and they contains no heavy metals, etc. Check out the benefits of cod liver oil. Barlean's contains Omega 3, 6, and 9's, not just Omega 3. Nordic contains Omega 3 & 9. Both are good. One of the most important things is to look for a brand that doesn't contain heavy metals and other contaminants. That is especially important with pregnant women and children.
  • Nature's Way Whole Foods Shake- I haven't tried this shake yet, but just from looking at what's in it, I'm sold. It has EVERYTHING in it. Nature's Plus has a similar shake, but it is more expensive (and I think Nature's Ways' shake has more in it!). I will update once I try it!
  • Nature's Way Alive Multivitamin Whole Food Energizer- I plan to take this when I don't have a shake. It is basically the same thing, but in pill form.
  • Emergen C- A great way to get a quick boost, the natural way. Emergen-C provides 1,000mg of Vitamin C , it contains electrolytes, Vitamin B, and 32 mineral complexes. When I was pregnant, my midwife highly suggested that I drink a glass of water with Emergen-C in it several times a day (morning-afternoon). The flavor that I have is Tropical, but I would suggest using Pink Lemonade, Lemon, or Orange.
  • Holy Basil- This is one of the primary herbs used in India for reducing negative effects of stress (lowers cortisol levels). It also helps maintain normal blood sugar levels. This is a great herb to take when in the moment of stress and/or anxiety.
  • Natural Balance Happy Camper- I have been told by someone who struggles with some anxiety like I do, that this stuff works very well. It is completely herbal, and can just be taken when needed. I haven't tried it yet, but the reviews look promising as well.
  • Multi Minerals- This is like a Multi-Vitamin/Multi-Mineral Supplement without the vitamins J. It is good, when pregnant and breastfeeding, to add this in. I took 2-3 capsules a night with some form of vitamin C to help with absorption (orange juice, oranges, tomatoes, etc). It is a good way to increase iron without having to take an extra iron supplement (which usually causes constipation). It also helps keep you regular because of the magnesium. The calcium in them also helps with leg cramps, etc.
  • Evening Primrose Oil Capsules- I took this when I was pregnant (the last 5-6 weeks or so) because it helps soften the cervix and prepare the body for labor and delivery. Taking it also helps with hormones (mood swings, etc), and is especially great for women who suffer from PMS.
  • Papaya Enzymes- This is basically tums in a more natural form. Someone who struggles with heartburn (again, especially in pregnancy) should take this before and/or after a meal. Not only does this help with heartburn, it aids in digestion.


 

I'm not an expert by any means on any of this; I have just experienced these, so I'm giving you my opinion and a little bit of information that I have researched.

No comments: