- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil, melted - or replace with half applesauce, as desired
Topping, optional: (I don’t usually do the topping)
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar), optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full (Definitely fill all 12, otherwise they will overflow).
3. Optional: In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sucanat, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. I normally just sprinkle with cinnamon and a little sucanat.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.