- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups mixed vegetables, either frozen, canned, or leftover*
- 4 cups (approximately) mashed potatoes (made from about 8 potatoes)
- 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup whole milk
1. Brown ground beef with onion, pepper, and garlic. Drain grease.
2. In a large bowl, combine the meat, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and mixed vegetables.
3. Grease a (deep) 10-inch glass pie plate. (You could also use an 8-inch square glass dish.) Spread the meat and vegetable mixture in the dish. Top with a layer of the mashed potatoes, sealing to the edges. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Just before baking, pour milk over cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until pie is hot and cheese is lightly browned.