- Whole chicken (preferably cage free and from a local source, but if you can't do that, buy one that is at least hormone free- Walmart sells one under the label Harvestland that is pretty good)
- Some dry or fresh herbs- thyme, sage, basil, rosemary or some mix of these
- 1 onion, chopped
- Several cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper (we use coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Frozen or fresh veggies of choice (broccoli, squash, zucchini, whatever you like)
- Whole wheat pasta
2. In a bowl, mix the herbs, chopped onion, chopped garlic, and some salt and pepper.
3. Place chicken in a deep roasting pan. Stuff with the herbs, onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Sprinkle the top with the melted butter and more salt and pepper (however much you like). If you would prefer, instead of using salt and pepper, you can sprinkle the top with lemon pepper seasoning. This is great too!
5. Cover with foil and cook at 325 for 30 minutes per pound of chicken (so if it's 4 pounds, cook for 2 hours). The last 20 minutes or so you will want to take the foil off so the chicken can brown.
6. While the chicken is cooking, steam some veggies (if you have a way to do this... if not, just put in boiling water for a FEW minutes). You can season these with salt and pepper, butter, lemon pepper, or however you would like.
7. Cook whole wheat pasta per package directions. When finished, mix in a little olive oil and salt and pepper.
8. After you are finished eating, take the rest of the meat off the bones and save for another meal! Don't waste anything!!