- 2 pounds pinto beans
- Large crockpot (or just a large pot if you don't have a crockpot)
- Chili powder
- Minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- Onion powder or flakes
- Ground cumin
- 1/2 stick butter
- A few slices of bacon (we use Hormel nitrate/nitrite free bacon) or a Ham hock
2. Once they have soaked overnight, drain, rinse again, and place back into pot. Cover with water.
3. Sprinkle a generous amount of salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder or flakes, and ground cumin.
4. Place bacon or ham hock into beans.
5. Either turn on crockpot to cook for 8 hours or place on stove, let it come to a boil, and cook for about 3-4 hours on medium low.
6. About 30 minutes before you eat them, place butter into pot.
7. Cook Rice. White Rice: 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Sprinkle olive oil and salt on top of rice. Bring water to boil, then cook on low-medium for 15 minutes. DO NOT STIR THE RICE as this breaks it up and makes it sticky. Fluff with fork when finished. Brown Rice: Same amounts of everything except cook for 25-30 minutes.
8. Keep leftovers for other meals.