Saturday, February 7, 2009

Homemade "Goldfish"

1 cup whole wheat flour (I use hard white wheat)
4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 ounces grated cheese (it said to use sharp, but all I had was mild and it turned out fine)
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper (For the salt and pepper, I just used my salt and pepper grinders and put a little in there)
(I only did 3/4 of the recipe because I didn't want to make too much)

1. Pulse the flour, butter, cheese, salt, and pepper together using a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Pulse in 3-4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.
3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes to 24 hours.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees
5. Line 2 baking pans with parchment or wax paper, set aside (I used a silicone baking sheet)
6. Roll the dough out to 1/8th inch thickness. Cut out as many crackers as possible using a small cookie cutter.
7. Place them on the prepared baking pans (you can put them close together because they get smaller)
8. Bake until golden and crisp- 15 to 20 minutes
Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Make sure that you roll it as thin as possible. I had some that were too thick and so they never got quite crispy enough (although, they were really yummy anyway!).

No comments: