- 1 1/2 pounds 80-85% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats OR 1 slice of bread, torn into small pieces plus 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons catsup
1. Place the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.
2. Form meat into one 9-inch long loaf, packing it together well with your hands to avoid air pockets Place in a shallow baking dish (9x13-inch dish works well).
3. Spread 2 tablespoons of catsup over the top of the loaf. Pour water in the dish around the meatloaf, about 1/4 to 1/2-inch deep.
4. Place dish on a rack in the middle of the oven, and then turn on the oven. Set the temperature at 325 degrees F if the dish is glass, and 350 degrees F if it is a metal dish.
5. Bake for 2 hours uncovered. The outside of the loaf will be dark brown.
6. After baking, remove from the dish to a platter. The meatloaf will be easier to slice if you let it cool slightly before slicing. A sharp, thin knife works best for slicing, as a thick knife tends to break up the meat. Slice loaf into 10-12 slices and serve with catsup or barbeque sauce on top.