- 1 whole chicken
- 2 quarts water or chicken broth
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 onion, chopped (large pieces)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp thyme
- 1-2 tsp basil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pound carrots, chopped (large pieces)
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped (large pieces)
1. Wash chicken
2. Place in a large pot enough to cover with 2 quarts of water or broth and bouillon cube
3. Add celery, thyme, basil, garlic, onion, salt and pepper
4. Bring to boil then reduce immediately to low, simmering for 60 minutes.
5. Remove chicken from broth and set on a dish to cool.
6. Add the carrots to the broth and cook carrots on medium until tender (about 15-20 minutes).
7. Debone chicken and add back into broth.
8. Prepare dumplings:
o 2 cups flour
o 2 tsp baking powder
o ½ tsp salt
o 1/3 tsp baking soda
o 2 tbsp cold butter
o 1 cup buttermilk
In a medium bowl, combine and salt; cut in butter using a fork
Add cold buttermilk, a few spoons at a time, mixing the dough from the outside with fork until dough forms
Roll dough out on floured surface; cut into strips
Drop dumplings into pot
9. Cook another 5-10 minutes.