I have found many great sources to talk about just how bad this stuff is. I will sum it up:
- Hydrogenated oils were originally created to make it more shelf stable
- Hydrogenated oils are created by adding hydrogen, which changes the chemistry of unsaturated oils, making it solid (margarine, Crisco, etc)
- These were originally created thinking that it was better because it was unsaturated, but unfortunately, when hydrogenation occurs, these healthy fats are turned into trans fat
- Trans fat work to increase the "bad cholesterol" (LDL), and decrease the "good cholesterol (HDL), therefore, just doing the opposite of what was originally intended. These fats are far more damaging than even saturated fats.
- The body has a hard time figuring out what to do with trans fat (it doesn't digest well); therefore, it results in weight gain.
- Eating hydrogenated oils have been linked to diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. in many scientific studies.
- Fat is necessary for the body, but it is best to do this by choosing good fats such as avocadoes, nuts, olive oil, and coconut oil (this one is being newly discovered as healthy!).
- Most refined, processed foods contain trans fat (or hydrogenated oils).
Do your own research on this! I just couldn't believe what I was reading!!